Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Training Plan.............. TaDA!

I've been doing copious amounts of searching for training plans... some were tooooooooooo detailed.... some were not detailed enough.... some were build your own (if I knew how to do that, why would I be searching for a plan???) and some were just not designed for a newbie in mind, even though they said 'for the beginner' in the title.

Eventually I happened upon a couple that feel about right.... they are the right amount of time (12 weeks), the right price (free), and easy to understand and follow.  One is a plan that talks about training in terms of minutes... the other is a plan that talks in terms of distance.... so of course, like any good cook, I'm going to combine them into something unique and deliciously my own.

I've been exercising regularly for some time now... I think the biggest 'silly' question I have at this point is: Am I supposed to only do the training on my plan or am I supposed to do this in addition to any other exercising I do?  I ask because there isn't really any actual strength training in the plan.... it is all about the swim/bike/run, which of course, makes sense.... but..... I think I want to make sure I'm doing some strength training, too.....

I'm meeting up with a friend this weekend who has completed a tri and is currently training for another.  I will pose my question to her and see what she thinks.... so far the books and articles I've been devouring don't actually come out and state it clearly... probably because people tend to make their own adjustments anyway....

What does my plan look like?  Right now I'm still looking at the two plans on two separate documents... hopefully this week or by week's end I'll have created an integration of the two that feels right.

Today I did a walk/run this morning (I'm getting more and more confident in my abiblity to be able to run.... !).  I'm warming up for about 5 minutes and then I start doing intervals of 1 minute walk/1 minute run; today I did 3 sets of these then I continued to walk for another 20 minutes for a total of about 30 minutes.  Later I did a short ride (8 miles) in about 45 minutes.  Moderate pace, consistent cadence... felt good.

In tri lingo there is such a thing as a 'brick'.  A brick is when you do two of the 3 events in training so a swim/bike or bike/run or swim/run.  But I think to qualify as an actual brick the workouts have to be one right after the other, just as you would in an event.  I did my morning walk/run early and then did the bike this afternoon, so not a real brick.... still, though, got them both in and that feels good.

Some people say I have attitude- maybe I do...but I think you have to.You have to believe in yourself when no one else does- that makes you a winner right there. -Venus Williams









--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind...?