Thursday, April 15, 2010

Today is a rest day.

I'm finding my 'training legs'.... I think everyone probably goes through their own sets of challenges when it comes to figuring out the right mix for their training.

The cycling is, of course, going to be my strongest area (even though I haven't ridden consistently for a couple years....).  I'm finding it true that 'it's just like riding a bike' meaning that although I'm starting off slow, I'm able to and wanting to go further than the my training plan(s) suggest. 

This week I rode 7.5, 7.5 and 13 miles.  One of the rides was on a day that I also ran (not quite a brick, though.)

Yesterday's ride was the longer one... and here is what I learned: 
  • ALWAYS ride with a cycling short or brief... I rode without the day before because it was a 'short' ride and my bum was a hurtin'....
  • ALWAYS take a bar or some sort of nutrition with you cuz you never know when you're going to feel like you need to refuel... if you don't eat it, no harm no foul & it sucks to bonk when you've got to still pedal back home
  • Don't go farther than you feel comfortable doing... don't get caught up in showing off for a friend or lover.... let the ego go... you don't have to prove anything... you are in TRAINING!

I think for me part of the key will be in focusing not only on the tri, which is of course what started it all, but also getting a handle on what my goals are.  On June 27th I'll be taking part in a charity ride up in Marinette WI (where I'm working) and they have multiple courses from which to choose.  There is the 10 mi, 25, 50 and also a 75 mile course.  My goal is to at least do the 50 and perhaps the 75 and to work towards that end I thought I'd incorporate an added layer to my training. 

Right now my plan is to take my bike up to work so that I can ride back and forth from hotel to office (2-3 miles each way.... a nice little ride) and perhaps get an evening ride in on Tuesdays or Wednesdays.  Then, I will ride on the weekends when I'm back home, one shorter day (10 - 15 miles) and one longer day 20 + miles.  I'll add mileage to the long ride weekly....

I'm conscious of a few things:
  1. It's easy to focus on the strength area (and FUN!)
  2. It's very challenging competing in what essentially is 3 different events all on the same day back to back
  3. I don't want to overtrain (I'm seriously not sure what/how about this so I need to do more research in this area)
  4. I want to be sure and stick to the plan for the swim and run
The only one who can tell you 'you can't ' is you. And you don't have to listen. - Nike


  

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind...?