Monday, April 26, 2010

Stream of Consciousness Book Review: Slow Fat Triathlete

Warning: the following may appear somewhat incoherent as I've written this in a stream of consciousness sort of way.

The book Slow Fat Triathlete was written by Jayne Williams.  Hmmm... that's not much of a flashy start.... but maybe that's because as much as I really wanted to LOVE the book, I merely thought it 'ok'.  If we were going to do a point value thing, in fact, yes... let's do a point value thing because I have a STACK of books I'm going to read through and review (more on that later). 

So point value system... first an appropos symbol... ahh, of course... a bike! Hmmm... next, the actual scale.  I dislike scales that are odd numbered, allowing for someone to fall smack dab in the middle.  The middle ground... the safe place.  Have an opinion, damn it!  You can be close to the middle but somewhere in there is an opinion and it falls either to the dislike or like side of things... think it through and go for it! So my scale will be a scale of 6.  1 is 'DO NOT BOTHER... both tires flat, terrible ride' and 6 is 'LOVE LOVE LOVE it... don't just borrow this book from the library, BUY it so you can make scribbles and refer back to it again and again...  this is the bike of your dreams!  You can make up your own descriptions for numbers 2,3,4 and 5.

So... given that I am forcing myself to have an opinion, I'm going with 3 out of 6 bikes for this one.  Don't purchase it... (you can borrow it from me, I purchased it ; P )

So my rundown:  First.... well.... the title.  I almost DIDN'T buy it because I hate self-deprecating, trying to be cute titles (although I'm probably guilty of that myself with some of my blog titles... in fact the overall title for THIS blog (Tri-Umphantly)... lol... groan, but I digress...  so the title alone isn't enough to warrant the 3 out of 6 bikes, but one other thing about the title does bug me.  And I get that it's my own issue... but it's the word fat. 

Jayne's introduction is called: Don't be afraid of the f-word... lol.  I laughed.  As I said, I know it's my issue, but for me, there's a couple things:  1- I don't think there is a lot to be gained from announcing to the world that I'm fat.... I know it, they know it... 2- I have a deep belief in putting things out to the universe and making them happen... so I'd rather put out there that I'm fit, firm and fabulous (also F words) than that I'm Fat.  But I get that it was a way of catching her audience's attention.  And maybe that's where my challenge really comes in....

Because Jayne's audience, is in fact, not really me.  There was never a minute that I didn't think I could do this because I was out of shape or too fat.  In fact, actually, the exact opposite.  I truly believe that I can do anything that I want to.  And I'm already motivated to do it.  So I think Jayne's purpose in calling to people who might not have the confidence to start is a little lost on me. 

Still, I had a few other issues with the book... I felt that the insights and advice she does give could have been a little more specific or meaningful.  And while I get that it's her story she's telling, she ends up waffling quite a bit.  For instance she gives advice about what to wear (or not) and begins to explain but ends with 'of course it that's not your experience, then don't pay attention to me!'  The thing is, while her book may be read by athletes at all levels, her true audience is, in fact, the couch potato... she wants you off the couch and enjoying your life.... so chances are, they aren't doing any of what she's talking about (yet) and would benefit from her wisdom (and conviction).

So my pro/con breakdown:

pro:  Easy to read, at times humorous.  Accessible.
con:  A little wishy-washy on what it is trying to be or who it is trying to speak to, too general.

Just remember this: No one ever won the olive wreath with an impressive training diary -Marty Liquori

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind...?