Friday, April 9, 2010

I remember my first multi-sport event....

I've always been athletic.  Always.  My dad always told the story of how when he bought me my first 'big girl' bike I demanded he remove the training wheels cuz they were 'getting in my way'.....  That's pretty much my approach to everything.... Leap because I know the wings will appear.

I've played sports my whole life.  Basketball, football, softball, tennis, track, racquetball.... I've always loved playing.... competing... winning..... and in the 4th grade, my teacher Mr. D decided we would have a 4th grade olympics.... everyone competing against everyone in all kinds of events.  I was so excited about his announcement I remember running home and telling my parents that I was going to 'be in the olympics'....

We were challenged to run long distances.... short distances (I was quite the sprinter back in my day...) climb, throw, run obstacles...., it was a week long event.  At the end of the event everyone's scores were tallied.  In 3rd place was Todd..... 2nd place was Steve.... 1st place....... oh yeah, baby, you guessed it. ME.

I'll never forget how much I loved winning .... it brought my competitiveness to a whole new level.

The prize was totally gross, however.  The teacher gave me a cool box.... I thought there was going to be a medal inside or necklace or something.... but no..... oh god no..... inside was one of his freakin' wisdom teeth.  I hated it then and I hate it even more now... lol.  What a weird weird thing to give as a prize. 

My prize this time, however, is much better..... good health.... a sense of accomplishment.... and don't forget about the bragging rights....!

Winning isn't everything, but wanting to is -  Vince Lombardi

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind...?